If you work with Microsoft Excel, you might know that when you save a file in that software, it is always stored with the XLS extension. You may also see that some files are stored in XLSX format. Both the formats are similar and represent the same type of file. These extension files contain the spreadsheet that can be used to store financial data. You can represent your data in the form of cells that are made up of rows and columns. Other than this, you can also represent the data in the form of different charts or graphs.
In this article, we are going to explain to you how you can open the XLS file. We have tried to provide you with different methods that you can use to open the XLS file on different platforms. Read the article till the end to know how to open XLS files on PC as well as Android.
Steps to open XLS file using Microsoft Excel
The very first method that we are going to discuss is to use Microsoft Excel to open the XLS file. Read the steps that we have mentioned below and follow in the same sequence as we have mentioned.
- First, you will have to open the Excel application on your system. You can also look for it from the Start menu of your system.
- Now, in the application window, you will have to click on the File option and then you will have to click on the open option.
- You will then have to redirect it to the location where you have stored your file. Also, you will have to check that you can see all the excel files in the folder.
- You will then have to look for the file that you wish to open on your system. After selecting the file, you will have to click on the open option.
- Now, the file will be opened on the Excel application.
Steps to open XLS file through Google documents
The next method that you can use is to use Google documents to open XLS files on your system. Using Google documents, you can open different documents like Excel, slides, forms, and all in one application. Below we have mentioned all the steps that you will have to follow to open XLS file through Google documents. Read the steps carefully and follow them in the same order.
- First, you will have to open your browser. You can use any web browser that to import XLS file on your system.
- After that, you will have to visit www.docs.google.com/spreadsheet.
- Once done, you will have to enter your credentials to log in to the store. You will have to enter the details of the existing account or you can create a new one.
- After this, in the new window, you will have to open the Excel page. You can do it by clicking on the option of the main menu.
- In case if your file is shared with Google drive you will find it on your screen. and in case it is not shared, you will have to load it on the screen by clicking on the blank option.
- Now, a blank excel sheet will be loaded on your system.
- You will have to press the Ctrl key and O key on your keyboard to open a file on your system.
- After that, you will have to click on the upload option and then redirect it to the location where you have stored your Excel file.
- You will then have to find your XLS file in the list or you can choose to drag and drop the same.
- After this, it will import the file to the Google documents. You can now read, edit the file.
Steps to open XLS file using MS office online
The next method that you can use to open the XLS file is to use the MS office online application. Read the steps that we have mentioned below.
- The very step is to start your web browser. You will then have to visit https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx.
- Once done, you will have to sign in to your account by entering your credentials. If you do not have an account, you may consider creating a new one.
- After this, you will have to look for the new blank workbook and then you will have to click on it.
- A new window will open up on your system and then you can click on the option of File. You will have to then click on the Open option and then you will see an option of more on one drive. Click on the same.
- Now, you will have to redirect it to the folder where you have stored your XLS file.
- Lastly, you will see that the file will open on your system, You can then read or modify the file.
Steps to open XLS file on Android
Next, in this section of the article, we are going to explain to you how you can open the XLS file on Android. To open it on Android, you will have to download an application from the play store. Read the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to open the Google Play store on your device.
- After this, you will have to look for an application named Microsoft Excel. You can find it from the search bar.
- Once found, you will have to download and install it on your device.
- After that, you will have to open the application and then enter your credentials to enter in the application.
- Lastly, you will have to open the XLS file on your device.
Using all the methods that we have mentioned above, you can easily open the XLS file on your system. All you have to do is to make sure that you follow the steps in the same sequence as mentioned. Hopefully, you will be able to open the file on your system as well as on your Android device. We hope that this article helps.