MP4 format is a very common format that you are going to find your movies and videos in. Whenever you download a movie or a video from the internet, it is usually downloaded in the Mp4 format. This format was introduced by the Moving Picture Experts Group (Mpeg). This was developed to contain different compressed audios and videos. There are different applications available in the market that you can use to open Mp4 format files on your system. These applications are available for all operating systems. You can find the suitable one for you. Other than this, you can also use the built-in media player.
If you have also come across an Mp4 file and you do not know how to open it, this article is for you. In this article, we have discussed two ways that you can use to open the Mp4 file on your system. Read the article to know everything in detail. Stay tuned to the article till the end to know more on how you to open MP4 file.
Ways to open MP4 file extension
Below we have mentioned two ways that you can use to open MP4 file on your system. You can either use the built-in media player of your system or you can use some third-party applications. Below we have mentioned all the steps included in both the steps. Read the steps properly and follow in the same sequence as we have mentioned.
Use a built-in Media player
The very first method that we are going to discuss is to use the built-in media player of your system. Different systems and different operating systems have their own media player. Below we have mentioned the steps that you will have to follow.
- You will first have to get the MP4 file that you wish to open. You can download it from the internet or you can get it on your system using a USB. After getting the file, you will have to make sure that you know where you have stored the file and also the name of the file.
- Now, you will have to double click on the file. You will see that the file will open in the Windows Media player if you are using a Windows system. this is the most common Media player that you are going to get in the Windows systems.
- After that, you will have to download a decoder pack or a codec on your system. It will be easily available on the internet. The most recommended codec is a Directshow compatible MPEG-4 decoder. You will have to then install it on your system.
- After installing it, you will have to open the folder in which you have stored your file. Look for the file that you wish to open then you will have to right-click on the name of the file. In the menu, you will have to click on the option of open with. Once done, in the applications appearing on the screen, you will have to click on the Windows media player.
Use third-party applications to open MP4 files
The next option that you have to open MP4 files on your system is to use third-party applications. This can be an easy method to do so because you will not have to download any decoder or codec on your system. Read the steps mentioned below.
- You will first have to decide which media player you want to use. VLC media player and XBMC are two of the most popular ones. You can use either of the two. One thing that you always need to keep in mind is that you will have to download the media player according to the operating system you are using and the version of the operating system you are using. You also have to decide whether you wish to use a paid tool or the free one.
- You will then have to download the media player on your system and then you will have to follow all the instructions appearing on your screen to install the media player on your system.
- Once done, you will have to go to the properties option of your system. Now, you will have to click on the general tab and then click on the option to change and select the media player that you want. finally, click on the ok button and close the tool window.
- Now, you will have to click on the media that you wish to run on your system. You will have to right-click on it. A menu will open up. In the menu, you will have to click on the option of open with. You will get the list of all the applications compatible to open the MP4 file on your system. You will have to select the media player that you want and then the video will be opened in the same media player.
Step to convert Mp4 files
So, these were the methods that you can use to open the MP4 file on your system. Other than this, you can convert the file into some other format. Read the steps involved in the process mentioned below.
- You will have to first download software that can convert your MP4 file to some other format.
- You will then have to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Once done, you will have to open the software, and then you will have to add the file that you wish to open on your system.
- After that, you will also have to select the format in which you want to change the file.
- Finally, wait for the conversion process to complete.
- Name the file according to you and then you can open the new file in whichever program you want.
Following all the steps in the same way as we have mentioned will help you to easily open Mp4 file on your system. All you have to make sure that you follow the steps in the same sequence. We hope that this article will help you to open the Mp4 file on your system.